A “creed” is simply a statement of belief. Everyone has a creed. Sometimes Christians are inclined to say we have no creed but the Bible, or no creed but Christ. That sounds good. But what do you believe about the Bible and Christ? A confession of faith helps give a detailed summary of what the Bible teaches and relies not only on our own understanding of the Bible, but draws on the wisdom and insight God has given his Church through the ages. In the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) we hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms. These documents are subordinate to Scripture, not equal in authority (they say that clearly themselves), and though they are not without error, we believe they are an accurate statement of what the Bible teaches.
We also stand united with Christians throughout the world and throughout the ages in affirming historic creeds of the Church like the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed.
Summary of our Beliefs at Redeemer Presbyterian Church (PCA):
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by his mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone as he sovereignly chooses those he will save. We believe his choice is based on his grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through his perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to his people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to his covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive his people to himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the lordship of Jesus Christ.